Art on Ice
is a unique art contest for 4th - 6th graders. The art classes are asked to create a to scale 10’ x 10’ Christmas or holiday scene using only 5 colors; blue, red, yellow, green, and black. Submitted artwork will be posted on the Mississippi Coast Coliseum and Convention Center Facebook page to allow friends and followers to vote on their favorite. The 10 entries with the most votes will receive a gift card for art supplies and will paint their masterpiece on the ice October 25th!
Any teacher-led 4th - 6th grade art class in the six southernmost counties; Hancock, Harrison, Jackson, Pearl River, Stone, and George counties (public or private school or non-profit student associated organization) with 10 or more students may submit artwork. Each class may submit only one entry. Art teachers instructing multiple grades may submit one piece per class. Winning classes must be able to come to the Mississippi Coast Coliseum on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 9:00 AM to paint their artwork on the ice.
Media & Size Requirements
The theme for the 2017-2018 Art on Ice competition is Christmas Around the World. We want to see how this topic inspires you! Artwork should be created using only 5 colors: red, yellow, blue, green, and black.
• Red, blue, yellow, green, and black ice paint and paint brushes will be provided for each class. Please note: the ice paint is pigment based and CANNOT BE MIXED.
• Each class will have a 10’ x 10’ area to paint. Submitted artwork must be to scale.
Judging Criteria & Selection
Submitted artwork will be posted on Facebook for voting by followers and fans of the Mississippi Coast Coliseum and Convention Center Facebook page. Voters will be asked to vote on the artwork based on the following criteria:
• Interpretation of the theme
Important things to know about the paint:
- The paint dries immediately when it touches the ice.
- The paint washes easily off of skin (it basically turns to powder and flakes off).
- The paint washes out of clothes.
- The paint colors will not mix!